Job Title: Senior Caseworker (12-month contract, full time)
Working For: Daisy Cooper MP (St Albans)
Location: St Albans
Salary: £27,500-£28,500 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm with some weekend and evening work)
An exciting opportunity to work with Daisy Cooper MP in her constituency office. This important, rewarding role will assist in providing a high level of service to Daisy and her constituents and play a crucial role in supporting with constituency casework. Previous experience of working for a Member of Parliament is advantageous but not essential - all candidates should have experience of working in a people focussed role and/or dealing with the public in a calm, compassionate and respectful manner, and being polite but persistent in following up cases with agencies. A good standard of written and spoken English and a professional telephone manner are essential.
After twelve months, Daisy may need to re-structure her staffing arrangements in order to ensure the right balance between her constituency and Westminster offices.
Flexible and part-time working requests are welcome.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues and is aware of trends
- Provide briefings for the MP; research local, regional or national issues to support MP's work
- Organise and participate in MP surgeries/meeting of constituents and other appropriate organisations
- Develop knowledge in specialist areas
- Publicise surgeries
- Liaise with Government agencies, voluntary sector and others to resolve constituency matters
- Manage and progress portfolio of casework appropriately, gathering relevant information
- Manage projects
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents and pressure groups providing timely responses
- Supervise other members of staff
- Manage the diary for constituency engagements
- Research and act upon relevant information in order to progress and resolve constituents' cases effectively, appropriately
- Ensure information is entered, progressed and maintained within the Caseworker database system
- Ensure that all information is treated in a sensitive and confidential manner and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations
Skills required include:
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent organisational skills
- Tenacious attitude with a commitment to getting the best outcome for every person
- Ability to learn and advise on issues concerning Housing, Welfare Benefits, Local Authority matters in a thoughtful manner
- Good knowledge of office based IT systems and administrative tasks
- Able to work individually and as part of a team
- Ability to gain awareness of the activities of an MP's office, policy and law
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within a sensitive and public facing role
- Sound ability to deal effectively, sensitively, with a wide range of people in person, by telephone and in writing (email and letter)
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members' Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members' Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. Salary levels are set in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18:00 Friday 24 January 2020
Interviews will be held very soon after the closing date and an early start date is desirable.
Applicants should send a covering letter (maximum two pages) and a CV (maximum two pages) to email@example.com with the subject line 'Senior Caseworker Application: NAME'.